Broch fall Short against Knightriders

Action from Saturday's match against Knightriders
Action from Saturday's match against Knightriders

Knightriders were the visitors to Fraserburgh last weekend in an early season relegation clash.

Knightriders captain Kumarasamy won the toss and elected to at first and mayhave regretted it, as in the second over he himself was bowled by Colin Souter, for 0, to bring a good start for Fraseburgh.

This was to continue for Fraserburgh and Souter as he accounted for the another opening batman Patherikadavil for 5, caught low at slip by captain Fraser Lawrance.

Lawrance got into the act himself, bowling Rangaraju for 5, and when first change bowler Ryan Duthie got Ballal out, top edging one through to keeper Michael Watson for 5, Knightriders were left on 28-4. Vaduganathan and Majeed were left to build the Knightriders innings and they slowly went about doing so. They had however offered a chance or two.

Lawrance dropping a simply chance at mid-on and a couple run out opportunities going a begging, holding up Fraserburgh’s charge.

Lawrance came back onto bowl to redeem himself, having Vaduganathan caught by Cory Bowie, for 45. Paul O’Neill was bowling steadily at the other end and managed to get Majeed adjudged LBW for 24 to give Fraserburgh a chance of bowling Knightriders out for less than 120.

However a terrible decision by Knightriders square leg umpire to not give Chinmayan out run out, who ended on 36 not out, soured a game played fairly by both sides, and despite excellent catches from Stuart Flowerdew, off P.O’Neill’s bowling, and Lawrance off Cory Bowie and a second for Bowie, bowled, Chinmayan managed a few big hits to take Knightriders score to 158-9 off their 45 overs. Wickets shared about from all bowlers; Lawrance, Souter, Bowie and O’Neill all getting 2 apiece and Duthie the 1 wicket.

After another delicious tea break, Fraserburgh’s run chase got off to a poor start. Cory Bowie got a ball that didn’t bounce as high as it should’ve, being bowled by Mallireddy off the 3rd ball of the innings.

Michael Mallireddy off the 3rd ball of the innings. Michael Watson and Paul O’Neill stuck in for the next few overs, with scoring going at a slow pace. After a while, O’Neill was given out LBW from another that kept low, for 19. And a few overs after, in trying to up the scoring rate Watson was run out for 20. This left Fraserburgh being 110 runs off 18 overs. Lawrance went in and tried his best to get the scoring rate up, hitting a 6 into the pavilion, however pershied to the 3rd wicket to a ball that kept low, bowled out for 7 by Patherik.

Mark Inronside soon followed, being bowled by Kumarasamy in trying to after him, scoring 14. This left Liam Bowie and Stuart Flowerdew to try and get the Fraserburgh score up close the target. Liam Bowie looked in fine form in doing so, hitting a couple of 6’s and 4’s, to up the score to 113 of 41 overs, before edging one behind off Mallireddy for a well played 33.

Flowerdew tried to eclipse Liam hitting a wonderful 4 down the ground, but left in the second last over, bowled by Mallireddy, for 14. Garry O’Neill and Colin Souter finished proceedings, with 2 and 4 not out respectively, leaving Fraserburgh on 128-7. 30 runs short.

Sadly, the target wasn’t chased down, but the team for the first time this season managed to bat out their overs and not got bowled out.

This weekend see a league and cup double header for Fraserburgh against Cults-Artisans-St. Ronald. Firstly the league on Saturday at Cults Allan Park, and the cup on Sunday back in the Broch.