Vital points for Bellslea

IN THE Deejays Nightclub League at the weekend, Bellslea took a vital three points after beating rivals Invercairn United by 3-1.

Thursday, 18th February 2010, 7:58 am

Invercairn took the lead in 32 seconds when Jamie Martin found himself clear just inside the box and he fired home. Fraser Watt drew Bellslea level after he fired a fierce shot which flew passed the Invercairn keeper from 12 yards out.

Daryl Allan passed up a great chance for Bellslea when he directed his shot wide from close range. It stayed that way till half time. In the second half both teams seemed to cancel each other out until 15 minutes from the end. Fraser Watt scored his second when he popped up at the back post to tap in.

Arran Gall sealed the three points for Bellslea when he rose high above the Invercairn defence to head home Bellslea's third.

St Combs were visitors to Peterhead to play Panasonic Tavern and needed to win to keep up their challenge for the league title and they came away with a 4 -1 victory with their goals coming from Stephen Buchan with a penalty, a David Buchan free kick and one each from Allan Taylor and Neil Taylor. Panasonic replied through Ally Donaldson.

Mormond Thistle hit the goal trail firing nine past Crimond, They were four up by half time, but Crimond rallied to get back to 5-3 down but Mormond went onto score another four goals to complete their win with their goals coming via hat-tricks from Martin Smith and Marc McQueen and one apiece from Darren Lawson, Scott Sherwood and Patrick Barnet and for Crimond was a brace from Grant Hamilton and one from John Smith.

Elizabethan Link Up and Cheers served up a seven-goal thriller with both sides creating lots of chances throughout the game.

Andy McKay put Link Up one up but John Michael drew Cheers level. Lee Noble put Link Up back in front, but back came Cheers taking the lead scoring goals through Alexander Hastie and Rafal Oledhro.

John Mitchel headed an own goal to square the match again and Lee Noble got his second and Link Up's fourth goal right at the end.

St Drostans had Faithlie United as their visitors and it was the away side that took all three points with a 2-0 win to move up to second place in the league table, their goals coming from Martin Buchan and Daniel Reid.

Rosehearty Thistle played New Deer and it was the home side which went away with all three points with a 7-2 win with Andrew Norris hitting four, a brace from Ryan Whyte and one from Sandy Maitland. Scoring for New Deer were Jimmy Ritchie and Kyle Tait.


Bellslea FC 3, Invercairn United 1; Panasonic Tavern 1, St Combs 4; Elizabethan Link Up 4, Cheers FC 3; Rosehearty Thistle 7, New Deer 2; Mormond Thistle 9, Crimond 3; St Drostans 0, Faithlie United 2.

Fixtures for Saturday, February 20:

Scottish Cup quarter-final - Bellslea FC v Buckie United at Kessock Park (3pm kick-off).

League (kick-offs 1.15pm) - Elizabethan Link Up v Crimond; Faithlie United v Panasonic Tavern; Cheers FC v New Deer; Rosehearty Thistle v Mormond Thistle; Invercairn United v Clinton Thistle.